Pylos

Pylos Castles. Two castles are built on the summits of the hills overlooking the Bay of Navarino and the town of Pylos: the older castle of Navarino and the more recent Niokastron.

The latter was built in 1573 by the Turks. During the Second World War it was used as the seat of the Italian and, later, the German headquarters and was made famous in the film "Guns of Navarone".